If your landlord has told you to move out, or has given you a written notice of eviction, call the Peterborough Community Legal Centre at 749-9355 or the Housing Resource Centre at 743-2272 immediately. We can tell you if the eviction is legal and help you through the process. You may be able to avoid or delay eviction if you get legal help.

If you have rent arrears and may be evicted, you may be able to get one-time help through the Housing Resource Centre or other local sources. See the Emergency Funds page.

The Residential Tenancies Act gives a number of reasons for eviction. You can be evicted if:

  • You do not pay your rent
  • You often pay your rent late
  • You or a guest commit an illegal act on the property, cause damage or problems for the landlord and/or other tenants
  • The landlord or a member of his or her immediate family want to move in

You can’t be evicted for having a pet unless it is proven that the pet is causing problems for other tenants.

If you share a kitchen or bathroom with the owner or a member of the owner’s immediate family, you are not covered by the Residential Tenancies Act, and can be asked to leave without notice or return of rent paid.

If your housing is covered by the Residential Tenancies Act, your landlord cannot make you move out unless he or she follows the steps set out in the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA).

The Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO) website has great, easy to understand online resources regarding various legal problems including landlord/tenant issues. Specifically, CLEO has information about how to fight an eviction in Ontario, the eviction process, and your rights as a tenant. This information is available here.

Other useful CLEO books:

It is important to contact the Peterborough Community Legal Centre at (705) 743-9355 for legal advice before you attend your hearing. The Legal Centre can give you advice about Board notices, repayment plans, and documentation you should take to your hearing.  You can also speak to the Duty Counsel the day of your hearing.

If the Board issues you an order for eviction, contact the Legal Centre and the Housing Resource Centre to find out your options.  You may be able to prevent the eviction.  If the order is for rent arrears, you may be able to stop the eviction by paying all the arrears and the landlord’s application fees.  You may be able to stop the eviction right up to the time the sheriff comes.

If you are unable to stop the eviction process, call the Housing Resource Centre.  We can give you vacancy listings to help you find new housing, information on shelters if you become homeless, as well as information about funds you may be eligible for that assist you with moving or last month’s rent.