Property Standards

Property Standards

Property Standards bylaws exist in all municipalities.  The City of Peterborough and each Township within the County of Peterborough has their own bylaw.  Each municipality develops and enforces these bylaws.  Enforcement usually occurs when occupants make complaints.

Complaints about property standards and maintenance in rental units should always be reported in writing first to the landlord.  KEEP A COPY of this communication.  If your landlord does not fix the problem after you have asked in writing, you can contact the city or your township to ask for an inspection by the Property Standards or By-Law Enforcement Officer. You will need to make your complaint in writing. In the city, the Property Standards Officer can be contacted by calling the city at (705) 742-7777. Please note there is one Officer for the entire city.  For more information visit the website.

Property Standards & Maintenance will follow up on complaints about the maintenance of the building, including problems like broken windows, unsafe stairs, holes in walls, or broken furnaces or appliances (supplied by landlord). They will also look into complaints about the property outside the building, including garbage and junk, long grass, snow and ice, or old vehicles.

Property Standards also deals with pests (e.g. mice or cockroaches). In the townships, contact your township office for the local By-Law Enforcement and/or Property Standards Officer. Go to our Community Resources page for website links and contact numbers for the townships and the city. You have to make your complaint in writing. The City of Peterborough has a building complaint form which you can pick up at City Hall or download here.

Many townships have Complaint Forms available at the township office or on their websites.

You can also write a letter about your complaint. The letter should include:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Contact information
  • Brief description of the problem
  • Landlord’s name and contact information

Make sure you clearly list the problems in your complaint. Generally the Officer will only look at the problems listed on the form or in your letter. You can drop off your complaint or mail, fax or e-mail it to City Hall or your township office. The Property Standards or By-Law Enforcement Officer will come to your home to inspect the things you’ve mentioned in your complaint. Please note someone needs to be home to let the Officer into your home to do the inspection. If the Officer finds problems, he or she will write a letter to the landlord giving them a time limit to fix the problem. You will need to let the Officer into your home again to check to see if the landlord has fixed the problem. If the problem isn’t fixed, the Officer will follow up with the landlord to issue an order to make the landlord do the repairs.

You can ask the Property Standards or By-Law Enforcement Officer for a copy of the letter sent to the landlord about the repairs. This letter gives you proof of the maintenance problems, and can be used if you want to file a Maintenance application with the Board.

The Community Legal Education Ontario Website (CLEO) also has some great information about tenants’ rights, related to maintenance and repair issues.

Homelessness Coordinated Response Team (HCRT)

  • Started in 2012
  • Purpose: improve service delivery by providing a collaborative, case conference model of service to provide housing placement and retention supports for individuals who are homeless and extremely vulnerable
  • Consists of various community partner’s front line staff; including the Housing Resource Centre, Four Counties Addiction Service Team (Fourcast), City of Peterborough Social Services Division, Brock Mission & Cameron House, Youth Emergency Shelter, Warming Room, Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA), Peterborough Police and the YWCA
  • Meetings occur every two weeks
  • If you are interested in more information about HCRT, please contact the lead agency, Fourcast